A circular walk of about 2 miles and 2 hours, taking in Market Hill and exploring Maldon’s historic town centre. The walk is dog friendly. Refreshments are widely available in the High Street.
The walk is for the most part accessible to wheelchair users. Motorised wheelchair users have access to all areas except The Downs footpath and the narrow section shared with NCR1. Manual wheelchair users can access all areas except Market Hill and Thomas Plume’s Library
1 P White Horse Lane Car Park CM9 5QP
Parking charges are clearly displayed. There are toilet facilities available and refreshments in the High Street. Take one of the alleyways through to the High Street. Turn right, cross the road and then left down Market Hil.
2 St Peter’s Church and Churchyard
The former parish church, (grade II listed) is home to Thomas Plume’s Library and 3 the Maeldune Heritage Centre, both open to visitors. Inside the Heritage Centre is the Millennium Embroidery depicting 1000 years of Maldon history. The Centre also houses artefacts and information on local archaeology, a photographic archive and exhibitions of work by local artists.
4 Thomas Plume’s Library
One of the oldest in England, is on the first floor accessed by an ancient spiral staircase in the church tower. In 1704 Plume bequeathed to Maldon his collection of over 8,100 books and pamphlets and his collection of paintings to be housed in his Library. Some 2000 volumes have been added since. Books may be consulted without appointment during normal opening hours. Numbers are limited to 12 visitors at any one time. Admission is free; groups must be booked in advance.
5 United Reformed Church
Its most famous pastor (see blue plaque) was the Rev Billio, famous for his thunderous sermons. In the corner of the churyard is a memorial in the shape of a tree to the Sadd family with a reference to Myra Eleanor Sadd Brown (1872 - 1938) a famous suffragette.
6 Market Hill Garden
A peaceful oasis with stunning views over the rooftop.
7 Cromwell Hill and Cromwell Pump
Cross over the road to Cromwell Hill where you will see the Cromwell Pump, which provided the town with its first public water supply in 1587. Thomas Cammock laid the conduits that brought the water from springs in Beeleigh Road.
At the top of the hill turn right and walk along to Beeleigh Road. On the right is a row of attractive terraced houses with cottage-style front gardens. Leave Beeleigh Road and continue along the footpath to Lodge Road to reach 8.
8 Leech Memorial Garden
This lane continues “the old way to Beeleigh”, the route taken by White Canons between Maldon and Beeleigh Abbey.
Two local sisters, Edna and Joan Leech bequeathed the garden to the people of Maldon. They lived in the house opposite the garden, but died later in a plane crash, as the noticeboard explains. The garden features a wide range of native and ornamental trees and is maintained by the Friends of Leech Memorial Garden.
9 London Road cottages
Market gardening was a profitable business in Georgian Maldon. This row of four cottages (30, 28, 26 and 24) was built for the market gardener, Henry Lindoe.
10 Courthouse, London Road
Walk along Lodge Road (also named Dykes Chase) and turn left into London Road, once the main road out of Maldon. The old courthouse, (marked by a plaque) is now a private residence.
The cottages at 13 and 15 London Road were once the almshouses of Annastacy Wentworth’s Charity. She left property for the education of poor children and the relief of the poor of All Saints parish.
This cottage (no x) was the 18th century house of correction, built for housing idle and disorderly convicted criminals.
11 Maldon’s Town sign
Features the ancient coat of arms, basied on its 14th century heraldic seal. The three lions of England were included because Maldon was a Royal town.
12 Ware Pond
Cross the road to visit the Ware Pond. You can find information about the site on the noticeboard.
13 Blue Boar
Walk back along the High Street and turn left into Silver Street, once the site of Maldon’s mint. The Blue Boar hotel, a former coaching inn, bears the coat of arms of the De Vere family.
14 Bell Inn
This private home and guest house displays the sign of its origin.
15 All Saints Church
This Grade 1 listed Church with its unique triangular tower has a beautifully designed 13th century shingled spire with eight bell ropes. The Church is open for visitors to see its famous Washington Window. Outside the church are statues commemorating St Mellitus, St Cedd Earl Byrhnoth, Robert D’Arcy and Dr Thomas Plume. In front of the church is the Grade II listed Water Trough which commemorates the life of Lucy Hicks, a local Quaker. The town’s war memorial was funded by public subscription.
16 Moot Hall
The Grade 1 listed Moot Hall (with black plaque) started life as part of a larger private mansion owned by Sir Robert D’Arcy, Sheriff, Member of Parliament for Maldon and wealthy merchant. The building incorporates a police cell and exercise yard, 19th century Court room, Council Chamber and panoramic rooftop views. Guided tours can be arranged. The town clock with its five bell chimes was presented in 1881 by George Courtauld MP.
17 Kings Head complex
This complex incorporates a pair of 15th century Wealden houses encased in Georgian brickwork. The King’s Head won a conservation award after restoration of previously neglected buildings. Down the alley is a statue of Edward Bright, the famous “fat man at Maldon” and Friars Gate information boards.
Historical building facades
Many of the High Street stores, like the facade above Dorothy Perkins, retain features of their historical past. The site of Boots and Superdrug was formerly an enormous brick mansion, built for the merchant, Charles Coe - “probably the richest man in Maldon”.
Home of the “Fat man of Maldon”
The buildings at 57 and 59 High Street (marked by a blue plaque) were home to Edward Bright senior, the “fat man of Maldon”. When Edward died in November 1750 he weighed well over 40 stone. His remains are interred in a vault in All Saints Church
P White Horse Lane Car Park
The end of the trail, but if you wish to see more of Maldon, follow the Riverside Trail to visit boatyards, sailing barges on Hythe Quay, Promenade Park, Maldon Museum and St Mary’s Church.
See also the Heritage Walk 1 and the Riverside Walk
This walk is brought to you by the Maldon Heritage Group, formed in 2017 to enable member organisations to work together to share ideas, information and expertise with the objective of increasing footfall to venues and raising the profile of Maldon’s heritage to visitors and residents.
Fancy taking part in the next Mud Race on Sunday May 3 2020?
The Maldon Mud Race is an annual event in which hundreds of competitors raise money for charity by racing to be the first to complete a 400 metre dash over over the bed of the River Blackwater.