The building was purchased to replace the the earlier Moot Hall premises which still stand on the corner of Silver Street and remained the seat of local government until the creation of the Maldon District Council in 1974.
The second floor houses the Council Chamber which was the centre of municipal life for 400 years. On display are the royal charters given to the borough by various monarchs going all the way back to the Plantagenets.
The spiral staircase continues to the roof which offers the ultimate views of the rooftops of Maldon and the Blackwater estuary. Also on the roof are the chimes of the town clock which were given to the borough by it's MP George Courtauld in 1881.
View from the roof
The Newell staircase
The Council Chamber
TAKE A TOUR
OF THE MOOT HALL
Guided tours of the Moot Hall are available from the beginning of March until the end of October on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays at11am and again at 12.30pm (except when there is a civil ceremony)
Prices are £4 for adults, £3 for concessions and £2 for children over 5 (under 5's free)
As the Moot Hall is a Grade One listed building it cannot be altered in any way and therefore access for disabled visitors is limited as the upper floors are reached by narrow, twisting stairways.
The Moot Hall
High Street, Maldon
Tour enquiries 07711 985540
You will find further information on their website themoothall.co.uk
Fancy taking part in this year's Mud Race on Sunday May 12?
The Maldon Mud Race is an annual event in which hundreds of competitors raise money for charity by racing to be the first to complete a 400 metre dash over over the bed of the River Blackwater.